P2P Trading Platforms (e.g., Bisq, HodlHodl, LocalCoinSwap, etc.)
There are a number of person-to-person (P2P) over-the-counter (OTC) trading platforms where Bitcoins can be bought and/or sold — with cash (💵), or online using a bank account or other payment method.
[Last updated: 27 March 2022]
[TODO: Add a couple entries from https://cryptoage.com/en/2742-list-of-crypto-exchanges-with-p2p-exchange-of-bitcoin,-ethereum,-usdt-and-other-cryptocurrencies.html ]
- Bisq client (💵) [NO KYC]← Fully decentralized and non-custodial. Uses Tor, automatically. L-BTC / Blockstream’s Liquid Network ( 🌊) is a supported payment method. Guide
- RoboSats (💵, ⚡ only) [NO KYC]← Non-custodial. Requires Tor browser. @robosatsOB OrderBook. Guide [Note: Trade chat is not saved. To protect yourself as buyer, use additional method to verify payment instructions before sending fiat payment.]
- HodlHodl (💵) [NO KYC]← Supported payment methods include Lightning network (⚡) as well as Liquid Network ( 🌊) (BTC, Tether, CAD).
- LocalCoinSwap (💵) [NO KYC]←Non-custodial
- LocalCryptos (💵) [NO KYC]←Non-custodial
- Bitcoin.Global (💵)[NO KYC]
- Bitzlato [NO KYC]
- BitValve [NO KYC]
- bisq#buy-bitcoin channel in the Bisq Keybase team [NO KYC] ← Guide
- AS.Exchange Spot Market [NO KYC] ← Announcement
- BitQuick [NO KYC (when trx amount is under $400)]
- Remitano [NO KYC for Seller (only Buyer must KYC)]
- Totalcoin mobile app [NO KYC (other than phone number verification)]
- Mycelium Local Trader mobile app [Map] (💵) [NO KYC]
- CryptoLocally (💵) [KYC: Phone number required] ← Not available in the U.S. and 18 other countries
- Paxful (💵, ⚡) [KYC]
- LocalBitcoins [KYC]← No more 💵 (in-person, cash trading)
- Binance P2P (💵) [KYC]
- Coindirect Marketplace ← List of countries permitted
- Huobi OTC
- OKEx P2P
- PexPay ← Active CNY trading
- WazirX [KYC]
- Shiftal [KYC]
- Giottus [KYC]
- BuyCoins [KYC]
- ScaleX [KYC] ← Nigeria
- Busha [KYC] ← Nigeria
- BitBargain.co.uk ← U.K.
- VEX — Venezuela Exchange ← Venezuela
- P2P Trading ← Brazil
- Kyshi ← Coming soon
- Valuto Exchanges ← Coming soon
- r/Cash4Cash ← Take seriously the risks and recommendations in the General Information PSA
- r/GiftCardExchange ← Take seriously the risks and recommendations in the GSX Safe Trading Guide
- r/GCTrading ← Take seriously the risks and recommendations in the GSX Safe Trading Guide
- r/BitMarket ← Take seriously the risks and recommendations in the GSX Safe Trading Guide
- BitHalo software [NO KYC]
- SideSwap Swap Market [NO KYC] ← P2P Trading on Liquid Network (🌊), between L-BTC and stablecoins (i.e., either USDT, or EurX)
Altcoin-only P2P Trading exchanges
Note: An Altcoin-only exchange means bitcoin is not one of the trading currencies. There may be offers though where Bitcoin is one of the payment methods available though.
- Haveno DEX client (💵) [NO KYC]← Fully decentralized and non-custodial. Uses Tor, automatically. FAQ
- ByBit P2P ← USDT only, initially. Not available in the U.S.
- Benkiko ← USDB only, initially
- Timbuktu [NO KYC (for offer taker)]
- DAIHard (💵) [NO KYC]
- Dether (💵) [NO KYC]
- Ethfinex Trustless OTC
- KuCoin OTC
- Whales Heaven ← Requires a browser extension
- Wakala [Coming soon]
- LocalKSM [Coming soon]
Aggregator/Search and Helper Sites
- Yadio BTC Market Filtered search across a half dozen P2P Platforms
- Monetory Search P2P offers for the best rates
- ExchangeRates.Pro Real-time price comparison
Note: When using any of the above P2P Trading Platforms (which are essentially “matchmaking” services), please trade with caution and do your own due diligence.
This list does not include exchanges not in English (e.g., 58Coin), deserted or defunct marketplaces (e.g., OpenBazaar, BuyCrypto.Today, Cancoin, and Rahakott), not-yet launched (e.g., OTCBoss), ones that operate only through dark markets, or online-only DEX/decentralized exchanges (another list of DEXes).
Also, there are a number of variants that don’t fit the P2P OTC exchanges category:
- Physical Stores where you can Buy or Sell bitcoin (for in-person buy/sell)
- Online stores (e.g., Bitsell X [💳] [NO KYC, requires browser extension], CoinCorner [💳] [NO KYC when £900 or less, not available in U.S.], CEX.io, Coinify, Jubiter, Bittylicious, BitIreland, Kuna.io Money, LiteBit.eu, Switchere, Conio.com App, CryptoVoucher.io, BitQuick QuickBuy [NO KYC (when trx amount is under $400)], Cash App, Strike, and CoinMama)
- Instant exchanges / Online-only Swap (i.e., for converting from one digital currency to another)
- Precious metals brokers which buy your gold and/or silver in exchange for bitcoin (e.g., Veldt Gold [NO KYC]).
- Gift card exchanges (e.g., CardCoins for paying with a non-reloadable, prepaid GIFT card (VISA/Mastercard/AMEX/Discover), Redeem, CryptoVoucher.io for paying with gift cards for numerous brands, r/GiftCardExchange, and r/GCTrading).
- Vouchers (retail) (e.g., Azte.co (⚡, 💵), FastBitcoins (⚡, 💵), LibertyX (💵), Rise Wallet (💵), FlexEPin (💵), Neosurf (💵), BlueShyft (💵), Yellow Card (💵), Tikebit (💵), BitIns (💵), and BitNovo (💵)). One Azte.co vendor offers the @BitcoinVoucherBot on Telegram, for [NO KYC] purchase using SEPA/EUR bank transfer (and @BitcoinVoucherGroup for support).
- Vending (e.g., Bitcoin ATMs, Coinstar ) (with 2,100+ locations in the U.S.) and SBB/Swiss Railway ticketing)
- Bill/Invoice swap services (e.g., SWAPIN (formerly PiixPay))
- Satoshi Square Trading Events / In-Person Trading (e.g., Satoshi Square L.A., and find a person to trade with at many Bitcoin conferences and Bitcoin meetups)
- OTC Trading Desks (e.g., dozens including Cumberland, SigOne, etc.)
Categories of P2P OTC
Even within the P2P OTC Exchanges category there are sub-categories: (Credit goes to Dave F of OTCBoss for describing the different categories and attributes.)
KYC’d OTC — P2P marketplaces (website, w/ escrow)
Impure OTC — P2P marketplaces (website, w/ escrow)
DEX/Decentralized P2P Exchanges (no website, mostly crypto-to-crypto)
- Bisq (buy/sell bitcoin using fiat or altcoin/token)
Pure OTC — Global P2P network of brokers (no website)
- OTCBoss (Technically P2P, but initially will be just B2B/Broker-to-broker)
Protect Your Privacy
One reason some people prefer to use a P2P OTC marketplace to buy and sell Bitcoin using cash (in-person/face-to-face) is to protect their privacy. But that’s just part of the solution. The following provide more information on how to protect your privacy when using Bitcoin: